The Blurb
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Creative Writing courses
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 8:01 pm by $**T

» A - Z of Authors
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:42 am by $**T

» When did you start writing?
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:36 am by $**T

» Writers Block?
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:34 am by $**T

» Book to film adaptations
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:29 am by $**T

» whaddya do if you've finished your book but can't get to the library till tomorrow?
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:27 am by $**T

» What is your favorite book?
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:25 am by $**T

» varying what you read.
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:22 am by $**T

» When you were a child...
What is your favorite book? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:19 am by $**T

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is your favorite book?

+3
squonk
fanella
Max
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is your favorite book? Empty What is your favorite book? Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:06 am

Max

Max
Admin
Admin

I know it can be hard to just choose one, but what is your all time favorite book and why?

2What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:36 pm

fanella

fanella
Settling In
Settling In

It is hard to choose just one - but I can definitely say that Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett is up there - probably top 3.

It's the one that introduces us to Vimes - who is probably my favourite Pratchett character. I also love Sybil, and enjoy the way their characters are brought together - "he could probably do better, but then she probably couldn't do much worse". Can you tell I've read it a fair few times?

For me though, it's the wonderful twist at the end involving the huge scary city destroying dragon and sickly, small Errol. I remember the first time I read that and realising what a brilliant story teller Pratchett is.

http://www.learndirect.co.uk

3What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Max

Max
Admin
Admin

I remember that book with errol taking on the conjured dragon though its been a long time since i have read it!

My favorite is probably The Reaper Man, Death is my favorite character by terry pratchett, i even catch myself flicking through his books to see if death comes into it at some point Embarassed Laughing

4What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:32 am

squonk

squonk
Settling In
Settling In

So many books to choose from!

I go through phases of having favourites, but consistently at the top is The Catch Trap by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

It's about a young circus boy who discovers that he has a talent for the trapeze, then he falls in love and the book is about a doomed love affair really, but not in a mills & boony way.

When I am asked about my favourite books, I tend to generalise and say "anything by Terry Pratchett or Dean Koontz" and, whilst I like Marion Zimmer Bradley, I would never list her as one of my top authors, yet this one book just always does it for me. Every time I read it.

5What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:28 am

jo

jo

ooooh favourite book, i think that would have to be the time travellers wife, i just love that book, every time i read it i find something new in it. It is such a romantic book

6What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:44 am

squonk

squonk
Settling In
Settling In

I enjoyed that, too, Jo.

It is one of the many books I have "borrowed" from my mum.

I suppose I should give her some of them back...

7What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:33 am

fanella

fanella
Settling In
Settling In

The Time Traveller's wife is one I keep hearing about - so it's a recommended read then?

http://www.learndirect.co.uk

8What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:43 am

jo

jo

ooooooooh yes you must read it, i think it is a modern classic, i guarantee that you will enjoy it

9What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:05 am

Don't think I could choose just one, but I am reading the first of the Dark Materials trilogy at the moment and loving it so that might be my favourite when i have finished! Otherwise it would have to be something by J G Ballard or maybe Margaret Atwood.

10What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:39 am

FivegomadinDorset

FivegomadinDorset

Can't decide but one I come consistently back to is Paula by Isabelle Allende. DH is into Terry Paratchett and I must read some of his again soon, think I will start at the beginning again. I love Weird Sisters.

http://www.burngatefarm.co.uk

11What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:12 am

nikkijay

nikkijay

would probably have to say circle of friends by maeve binchy. i read this while at school after it was recommended by a friend and it was brilliant. i've been hooked on her books ever since

12What is your favorite book? Empty Re: What is your favorite book? Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:25 am

$**T

$**T

My all-time favouritest favourite would be Dinner at
the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler. Seriously, I
totally love the way she takes on the perspective of
all her characters and makes an otherwise mundane
plot so enchanting!

http://writersinstitute.boardeducation.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum